Guitar Repair/s Cost Estimate
Restring labor rates (does not include cost of strings)
- 6-string guitar --$15.00 to$20.00
- 12-string guitar --$20.00 to $30.00
- Banjo -- $15.00
- Mandolin --$20.00 to $35.00
- Violin -- $15.00 to$25.00
The following is a list of common repair jobs and their costs. These are to be used as rough estimates. The repair person can always contact the customer with a complete estimate after a correct diagnosis of the problem has been made. If the customer is able to pre-authorize up to a certain cost (using the guidelines below), this will decrease time needed to communicate to get work approved. A $5.00 shop supply fee will be charged for every $100.00 in labor, which covers supplies such as fret wire, sandpaper, etc.
COMPLETE SET UP AND ADJUSTMENT --$25.00 to $75.00 plus cost of strings
- Includes Neck adjust, action adjustment at nut and saddle, minor fret work, tighten tuner screws and nuts, lubricate tuning machines, general clean up, restring. (12-string -- add $25.00)
NEW NUT --$25.00 to $75.00
- May or may not include raw material. If your guitar has worn frets, a bowed neck, or an ill fitting saddle, expect additional cost to correct these problems. Many repairman will not install a new nut if other problems are not also addressed. (12-string -- add $25.00)
NEW SADDLE --$25.00 to $50.00
- May or may not include raw material. Same qualifications as with NEW NUT.
REPLACE TUNERS --$25.00 to $50.00 and up
- Seems like a simple job, but can he fraught with nuanced complications.
RE-GLUE BRIDGE --$25.00 to $100.00
- Remove and refit old bridge. Very minor touchup included. (12-string bridge -- add $25.00)
- $25.00 to$100.00 plus cost of factory-made bridge (approximately $30.00) plus cost of new saddle (sometimes) (12-string bridge -- add $25.00)
HANDMADE BRIDGE--$100.00 to$250.00 and up, by quote.
- Handmade bridges may be neccasary for vintage Gibson, Martin, Guild, and custom bridge replacements.
FRET LEVELING ("Filing," "Dressing" etc.) --$45.00 to $100.00 and up
- Worn or uneven frets can he filed level in many cases, if there will remain enough height on the fret to suit the customer. Frets must be lowered to the height of the lowest pit that can be found. Sometimes, replacing the most worn frets is appropriate. Includes "set up" adjustments. Add $25.00 for finished maple fretboards.
RE-FRET --$45.00 to $250.00
- Add $50 for fretboards with binding. Add $50.00 for finished maple fretboards. Individual frets $10.00 plus leveling and/or set up costs. New nut or saddle may be necesary. Shop minimum may also apply. (12-string -- add $25.00)
NECK RE-SET -- $300.00 and up
- Remove neck. Re-cut heel/body angle to correct high action. Replace neck. New saddle often included, but new nut often extra. Additional fret work and bridge work may also be necessary. (12-string -- add $25.00)
CRACK REPAIR -- $25.00 per inch or by quote (particularly for shattered areas)
- Includes glue and brush touchup with appropriate finish. Cleating (installing small patches of wood inside guitar to reinforce repair) as necessary. Repairs often not invisible.
HEADSTOCK CRACK --$50.00 to $150.00 and up, by quote.
- Glue, seal and re-finish area. Repairs often not invisible, but finish should be smooth.
INSTALL "UNDER SADDLE" PICK UP -- $75.00-150.00
- Expand endpin hole to accommodate jack. Wire pickup to pre-amp and jack. Fit and re-size old saddle for proper action and contact with pickup. May require new saddle and re-rout of saddle slot (additional). There are other variables relating to pre-amps which must be individually quoted. Condition of bridge and neck angle may be factors in the appropriateness of an under the saddle pickup.
DIAGNOSE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM -- $25.00 minimum
REPLACE JACK -- $25.00 plus part
- Note: Archtop guitars will often incur $50.00 upcharge to remove and re-install wiring harness for all electrical work.
REPLACE PICKUP --$25.00 to $50.00 per pickup
REPLACE VOLUME/TONE POT -- $25.00 per part, plus part
ROUT NEW POCKET --$25.00 to $50.00, plus install pickup price
REPLACE SWITCH -- $25.00-$50.00 per switch, plus part
We realize that you may not be able to diagnose exactly what is malfunctioning or what work may be needed. However, if you describe the problem as best you can,it will help us help you. This enables us to calculate a preliminary estimate of how much your repair will cost. All requests are responded to within 24hours of receiving this form. The final price will be determined upon inspection of the instrument in our shop. No work is performed without the consent of the customer.
***Don’t Despair Let Us Repair***